USC JumpStart Program Application - Summer 2023
Summer Program Overview
USC's JumpStart Program aims to provide a pathway to PhD programs for underrepresented undergraduate students. JumpStart works with USC schools and programs to invite diverse candidates from outside institutions to apply for 10-week summer research opportunities in various PhD disciplines. In the past, research opportunities have been in STEM, social sciences and humanities. Available opportunities range from lab-based research to mentored participation in other types of faculty projects.
JumpStart students will be selected by faculty hosts for their in-person research opportunity with the expectation that students will be devoting, on average, 37.5 hours of effort each week. The program begins June 5, 2023 and ends August 11, 2023.
- $5,ooo Stipend *
- Health Insurance
- Parking Passes
- PhD Application Fee Waiver
- Professional Development Sessions
- Dean of the Graduate School Scholarship (available to out-of-state residents) **
*All admitted applicants must complete a second process related to stipend eligibility before starting the program. Stipend may be subject to taxation. **Dean's scholarship includes stipend, campus housing and reimbursement for approved travel to/from Los Angeles. Limited number of scholarships to be awarded on a competitive basis.
As a pilot, we will be offering non-California residents from four-year institutions a limited number of competitive Dean’s Scholarships. This will include the stipend, campus housing, and approved transportation costs to/from Los Angeles.
PhD Student Mentors
We will reintroduce a mentoring component that will be an opportunity for our Diversity, Inclusion and Access and new Provost Fellows to mentor a JumpStart student.
- Underrepresented in your field of study
- Interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
- Rising junior or senior from outside USC OR
- Community college students with at least 30 completed transferrable units (in-state applicants only)
Dean of the Graduate School Scholarship (non-California applicants only)
- A small number of competitive Dean’s scholarships that include a stipend, campus housing and reimbursement for approved travel to/from Los Angeles are available to non-California residents studying at four-year institutions outside California