2022-2023 USC Renaissance Scholars Distinction Prize Competition
The Steven & Kathryn Sample Renaissance Scholar distinction is intended to recognize and celebrate USC undergraduates who have excelled academically while pursuing at least two widely separate fields of study.
In order to receive the Renaissance Scholar distinction, applicants must:
- declare a major and a minor (or two majors) in widely disparate fields (graduate degree programs, including Progressive Degrees, are not eligible)
- meet all university requirements for degree(s)
- graduate with a 3.5 overall GPA (with University Honors)
- graduate with a 3.5 GPA in each of major(s) and minor(s) for at least one certified combination of programs (lower division coursework is included in calculation)
- complete degree(s) within five years at USC
Renaissance Scholars Certification
Applicants must be certified to be considered for the Renaissance Scholar Prize. Certification will be based on the extent to which your academic programs of study are considered widely separate and distinct. Review the Renaissance Scholars website for more information about certifiable academic combinations.
Certified candidates who also meet all other eligibility requirements will receive a medallion to wear at graduation, have their distinction noted on their final transcript from the University, and can apply for consideration for the Prize Competition.
Seniors with expected graduate dates in December 2022, May 2023 or August 2023 must apply for certification by December 30, 2022 in order to receive the distinction.
Renaissance Scholars Prize Competition
Graduating seniors who receive certification have the option to apply for the Renaissance Scholar Prize Competition and compete for $10,000 towards graduate studies. A faculty panel will select the recipients of these special prizes, which will be announced prior to Commencement.
All required application materials for the Prize Competition must be submitted no later than 11:59PM (PST) on Sunday, January 29, 2023.
Each of the following is required to compete for the Renaissance Scholars prize. Check your STARS report for your overall and Renaissance GPA's to determine eligibility. You may compete for the Prize Competition if you meet the grade point average at the time of application.
The Renaissance Prize Competition application consists of:
- Personal Statement (3-5 pages)
- Résumé (one page)
- Two USC faculty letters of recommendation
Questions? Contact Academic Honors and Fellowships at firstname.lastname@example.org